Monday, August 06, 2007

Who blogs at 4 AM?

I was going to post a rant about how frustrating it is that my favorite sport, professional cycling, has developed the credibility of professional wrestling lately. I've decided to forebear. If you would like my thoughts on the matter, I would be happy to share, but it's not worth my time to type it up here.

Instead, let me share a recent distraction of mine. We went up to the Squaw Peak Overlook a few days ago with part of Kristin's family. Here is a fun picture of Addison and me.


In the middle of taking pictures and looking around, I couldn't help but be distracted by the three paragliders preparing for flight and then taking off.




Although the pictures only show two, I trust you get the idea. So, I'm standing there thinking, "Wow, I've always wanted to fly. That looks really cool." And I notice their truck has a website URL written on it. So after the long drive home (it really was long, we took the dirt road all the way down to Hobble Creek Canyon in Springville and got a flat tire along the way) I started looking at paragliding online. I was surprised at how easy it is to get into. Lessons are a little pricey, but not prohibitively so. Utah happens to be a great place to learn, and the point of the mountain is a one of the best spots in the world to paraglide. So, to make a long story short, I am seriously thinking of picking up a new hobby.

Other than that, my life remains much the same. No more school, but I'm still pounding out all the essays I can muster for school applications. One school asked for SEVEN essays. Ridiculous. On the opposite end of the spectrum, another school wanted only three, but requested that they each be less than 50 words. That sounds easy, but it's kind of like giving a three minute talk - by the time you start and finish, there isn't much room to say anything important in the middle. The graveyard shift is taking its toll. Other than not being able to sleep at night even when I'm off I don't mind it so much, but Kristin hates that I'm always asleep when I'm around.

5 comments:

Ben said...

Yeah, those short essays can be really tough. I guess if they want them that short, they probably expect that you don't waste any time on introductory statements and such. So what programs are you applying for?

Ing said...

I was going to ask the same thing. I'm interested to know what places you're looking at and why.

Karl said...

I am applying for medical school at 15 different places. The reasons vary for each school, some because they're relatively easy to get into, and some because they're a stretch but they have an awesome program. I'd be happy to elaborate more if you're interested in exactly which schools and all that.

As for medicine, it's been a long decision for me to go that route, but it's something that I really enjoy and I'm excited about, which means a lot. I'm looking mainly at emergency medicine.

Ben said...

Emergency medicine, huh? That's cool. I get to deal with that somewhat at work, but from the dispatcher perspective. Emergency medicine over the phone, basically. It's interesting stuff.

Karl said...

Dispatching? Did you change jobs then? Last I knew you were doing editing/proofreading stuff. We really should stay in touch better it seems.