Tuesday, March 13, 2007


Sometimes it amazes me what we have to do to "get ahead" in life. I work graveyards, spend long days at schol, spend more time with my head buried in books than enjoying my wife and daughter, live on too little sleep, sit inside looking at the great outdoors in this beautiful weather . . .

I won't go on. But sometimes I really do wonder why I do it, and if it's worth it.

I just finished reading a book called Founding Brothers, by Joseph J. Ellis. It's a really interesting and well-written book about the beginnings of our nation, and I think it answers my question. We do all these things because we believe in something bigger and better than our own personal convenience. Now, that may not be all that altruistic, because we could be simply working to make our future easier, and there's nothing wrong with that. But there are other reasons. Anyone who has kids or a spouse will be able to think of a few rather quickly. But as I read about these brothers, I was amazed by the time and energy that they put forth for the good of something they thought was worthwhile. In the end, they gave us our nation, and all the opportunities we have.

Part of our drive to improve ourselves comes from that obligation; it's like a national fever that drives us on, striving to prove those great social prophets correct. We truly live in an unprecedented time and place, where anybody who is willing to work hard enough can carve out a place for themselves in whatever portion of society they choose.

Another key component is a desire to be to our ancestors what they were for us. We all hope that in some small way we can give back, make some difference, or leave a legacy. For most of us, this will probably be mainly through our children, but it is hard to imagine that any of us will fail to touch at least a few other lives.

So in the long run, what keeps us up these late nights and long hours is the American dream. In the short run it tends to be caffeine, at least for me! So start your own revolution, even if the effects are small.

Am I right? What pushes you to work so hard?

3 comments:

Ben said...

For a second there, when I read "I won't go on," I thought maybe you were talking about suicide. Haha.

As for your question: You're assuming I work hard. :) Really, I don't think I ever had quite that much to do. I was lucky enough to have finished school mere months after getting married, so I never had to juggle family with school. When I was going to school, it was sometimes tough, but again, I was lucky enough not to have to work too much to support myself. I lived with my parents half the time. :)

riotimus said...

I do it for my family. I don't think I have it in me to work this hard if it were just me. I will look forward to the day when my family will experience some of the benefits of the challenge we go through now.

R.

Broncop3t3 said...

I would agree the family is a good motivating factor. It will all be worth it in the end. Keep up the good work...congrats on graduating. keep in touch..
http://petersoninidaho.blogspot.com