Friday, March 09, 2007

Yawn . . .

This past week has been Sleep Awareness Week. As my part of the celebration, I'm gaining a greater appreciation for how nice it is to sleep by working four graveyard shifts in a row. By the time I get to go to bed like a normal person on Monday night, I will have a newfound appreciation for the sheer joy of closing my eyes.

Why do we have to sleep anyway? I know all about what happens when you don't sleep, largely from my own research in the School of Hard Knocks, but I still haven't been able to figure out why we need it. My research has been motivated by equal parts non-stop rockin' fun, and necessity created by procrastination, another thing I have researched extensively.

I stumbled upon some new research a few weeks back that suggests that it may be better for your body to sleep only 2-3 hours at a time several times a day rather than one big long stretch at night. I've thought about joining the experiment myself. Actually, my job and school pretty much require it. It seems to work at least fairly well for me. Through careful planning I've been able to eliminate the use of caffeine to keep me awake all night for these shifts.

All these things have been going through my mind lately as I try to put sleep in its proper place in my life.

1 comment:

riotimus said...

You've always been a non-stop rocker, so I'm not surprised you are joining the experiment. I think it is awesome that you have removed the caffiene necessity from your nights. I am currently trying to flush it from my system by drinking massive amounts of water. I've had mixed results, but I am still trying. Rock on.

R.