Wednesday, August 29, 2007

My Linux Experience

I've been using Linux exclusively on my laptop for awhile now. I've had a lot of questions about what it is, how it works, and how it's working out for me, so here is a run-down. Please note, there is tons of info out there about Linux, so

What is Linux? Linux is an operating system, like Windows. It's open-source software, which is completely free in every sense of the word. Linux itself is just a set of operating system commands, kind of like the old MS-DOS, so to help make it more usable it comes in several different packages, called distributions, that are built around different user interfaces and with different purposes. The distribution I am using is Ubuntu, which is the one I liked best out of the three distributions I tried. Assuming you have a good distribution, it works a lot like Windows. Or Mac. You can set it up to work a lot like either one of those, or like it's very own thing entirely.

As far as my experience goes, it has really been mixed. I would be lying if I said it had been seamless and easy, but I think the pros have outweighed the cons so far. Getting videos and music to play has been relatively difficult, especially syncing my iPod. I've fixed most of that thanks to Songbird though. Ubuntu comes with a huge list of software that can be downloaded and used free and is very easy to install. For most programs, you'll find yourself choosing from a list of several programs to find the one you like best. But if what you need isn't on that list, good luck. You have to search for it online yourself, and then download it and - here's the kicker - compile the code yourself using the old command-line interface we all love so much. Getting my wireless card to work was also pretty difficult. Overall, I haven't regretted the switch, and now that my computer is basically set up how I want it I have very few complaints.

I don't think I would recommend Linux to just anybody though. While it works well once it's going and is super flexible, the price you pay for the flexibility is the more difficult setup. So unless your just really anti-Windows, or kind of a geek who likes to have lots of control over the way your computer works, stick with Windows . . . no, actually switch to Mac. If I could by the Mac OS and use it on my current computer I would, but you can't do that.

SIDE NOTES:

I have found a few things worth checking out for Windows and Mac users too through my Linux experience.
  • Songbird - mentioned it above, but it really is a sweet program. Watch the video.
  • OpenOffice - this is a replacement for Microsoft Office. Just as good, and free. It actually has some cool features that MS Office doesn't, like exporting directly to PDF. You can also save your files as the common MS Office file types for sharing or using on other computers.
  • Firefox - this is more of a side note, since most of you are probably browsing from Firefox right now, but a it's a good example of an open-source application.
  • Thunderbird - an e-mail program that's the brother of Firefox.
  • VLC - an open-source media player that plays almost anything. Next time Windows Media Player can't find your codec, it's probably easier to just download this.
So for now, I'm sticking with Linux. But in case you were wondering, I'm still hoping to get a Mac soon.

5 comments:

Ben said...

Cool. I'm glad to hear all these details. I might try to install Linux on my Mac just for fun. I'd like to see how they compare. Do you know how to do that in addition to keeping my current OS setup?

Karl said...

It's actually pretty easy. The newer Mac OS versions come with software called BootCamp that allows you to do that. Since I don't have a Mac, I don't know much more about it, but I've heard it's really cool and easy to use.

Linux also uses a boot loader called Grub that works quite well, although it isn't pretty (just the standard B&W boot screen - actually I don't think Macs use that, so I'm not sure how that would work). All you need is a fresh partition, and Linux (at least the distributions I've tried) will take care of the rest. Ubuntu uses a live CD to install, so you will essentially be using Ubuntu from the CD even before you install it. That's a good way to just try it out, but you can't change anything.

I currently have both Windows and Ubuntu running on my desktop at home, and also ran a dual-boot on my laptop for a while before I switched completely to Linux. Really the only danger is potential data loss from creating a new partition. If you have any questions I'd be happy to help.

Ben said...

Thanks. I may just be giving you a call sometime!

Ing said...

Hmmm... Based on this info, it looks like I'm one of those who are probably better off suffering through the prepackaged Microsoft sludge. I'm much the same with computers as with cars--not much into tinkering with my machine, I just want it to work.

Karl said...

I hate to condemn anybody to the Microsoft sludge. If you want hassle-free usability, I strongly recommend a Mac. I'll be getting one in the next year or so for just that reason.